Welcome to 2012. We hope you had a safe New Year celebration, even with the snow and dropping temperatures. Were you and your Indianapolis home ready for the winter weather? Did your family stay warm and comfortable, or was there a little chill in the air that you just couldn’t get rid of? If so, you may want to consider a weatherization program for your home, a simple procedure to help you find and fix problems that can waste energy, increase utility costs, and decrease your home’s comfort level.
For more basic information about weatherization, read our article from September, “Weatherize Your Indianapolis Home to Save Money and Reduce Energy Consumption”.
To help Hoosiers reduce wasteful energy consumption through weatherization and other conservation initiatives, a new statewide initiative, Energizing Indiana, began yesterday, the first program of its kind in the country. Energizing Indiana provides free comprehensive energy efficiency programs for Indiana home owners, schools, and businesses looking to cut energy costs. This unique endeavor unites efforts by the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, participating utility companies, and consumer organizations statewide.
This innovative energy efficiency initiative has the potential to reach over 2 million Indiana residences and thousands of businesses over the next few years. It is estimated that the initiative can save enough energy to power over 100,000 homes for a year. These energy savings will not only reduce your utility costs, they will help create jobs and improve the economy and environment for all Hoosiers.
Residential Home Energy Assessments make up the largest portion of the program. These free assessments can help improve the comfort and increase the efficiency of your home’s HVAC system’s performance, lower energy bills, improve in-home air quality and increase your home’s value. Energy Advisors will guide you step by step through the process to produce long-term, cost-effective energy savings by:
- Analyzing your energy use
- Recommending appropriate weatherization measures
- Facilitating the direct installation of specific low-cost energy-saving measures
The advisors will:
- Assess the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems in your home to determine if they are operating efficiently
- Inspect your home’s air duct sealing, insulation levels and more to evaluate your home’s energy consumption and heating and cooling efficiency
According to experts, homeowners who take the advice should quickly see up to a 25 percent reduction in electric utility bills. You will even get a free energy-saving kit, including nine compact florescent bulbs, three sink aerators and two low-flow shower heads to help you get started.
To take advantage of this great new program that costs you nothing but can save you hundreds of dollars, call 888-446-7750 to schedule your home assessment. We recommend that you call as soon as possible, as we believe this will be a very popular program, and that slots will fill fast.
In addition to the Residential Home Energy Assessments, other Energizing Indiana initiatives include:
- Income Qualified Weatherization Program in which a family of four with an annual income of $45,000 or less may be eligible for new insulation and other home improvements.
- Residential Lighting Program using high-efficiency lighting in your home, a fast and easy way to lower energy bills. Energizing Indiana has made replacing your traditional light bulbs even easier by working directly with your local retailers to offer discounts on qualified ENERGY STAR® lighting.
- Commercial & Industrial Rebate Program specifically designed to help commercial and industrial facility managers and building owners achieve long-term, cost-effective energy savings.
- School Programs:
- Connecting with Students – Through the Education Program, Energizing Indiana and local utility providers connect with students in 5th and 6th grade to help them learn about energy efficiency and how they can make an impact at their school and home.
- Connecting with Schools – the School Building Assessment Program helps administrators and building managers discover energy savings in their classrooms and schools.
For more information about the various programs, visit the Energizing Indiana website. To schedule your FREE home assessment, call 888-446-7750.
If, during your assessment, it is determined that your home’s heating system requires maintenance to bring it back to peak operating efficiency, Thiele Heating & Air Conditioning’s service technicians have the skill and training to perform the needed repairs. Call us at 317-639-1111 to schedule a service appointment. Make sure to visit the Thiele website’s Specials page for a FREE Service Call coupon (an $89.95 saving) with qualified repair.