A quick and economical way to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy bills is updating to a programmable thermostat or smart thermostat. While manual thermostats constantly work to maintain constant temperature settings within your home, modern thermostats can be programmed to adjust temperature settings when you are away. Some of the newest technology allows you to dramatically improve heating and cooling efficiency by learning your schedule through a smartphone application.
What Are The Advantages?
Money is the most significant advantage of replacing manual thermostats with modern designs. By installing a new programmable thermostat you may save 10% in energy costs each year. This is just one of many ways digital thermostats save you money.
Save On Energy Costs
Manual thermostats waste energy. Heating and cooling systems constantly run at the temperature setting whether you are in your home, at work, or on the go. For most households, heating and cooling costs account for half of the annual utility bills. One of the simplest ways to reduce energy costs is adjusting your temperature settings when you are away and at night when you are sleeping. Programmable thermostats and smart thermostats help to automate this process. In cooler months, you can lower the heating settings by 8 degrees when you are away and asleep, saving energy costs without sacrificing comfort.
Reduce Stress On Appliances
By adjusting temperature settings during extremely cold temperatures and blistering summer days, furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, and other HVAC appliances only run when needed. If your house is empty there is no reason to stress and overuse your appliances. By reducing energy usage, appliances are less prone to breakdown and repairs.
Simplify Temperature Settings
A manual thermostat can easily be adjusted. Adjusting settings before you leave home and right before bed may fit into many people’s schedules. Most people have more priorities and greater responsibilities than constantly adjusting their thermostats. For homeowners with busy lives and hectic schedules programmable thermostats help save you money in the background of your life. Smart thermostats can do even more to simplify the control and efficiency of your HVAC system.
Choosing a Programmable Or Smart Thermostat
When choosing between a programmable and smart thermostat there are a number of similarities and a few key differences. Each of these thermostats will improve energy efficiency without impacting your daily routine.
- Setup a schedule – Directly on the thermostat you can set a schedule. Depending on the model, programmable thermostats offer multiple settings for each day of the week. The most common setup is to adjust temperatures around your normal bedtime, wake, and work schedule.
- Easy to adjust at home – Thermostats can be adjusted manually without affecting the programs. So if you come home early in the middle of the week, you can simply adjust the thermostat and warm or cool your home.
- No need for wifi or internet – Programmable thermostats do not require special connections to wifi, the internet, or integrated apps for your phone. When installed the professional technicians at Thiele Heating and Cooling calibrate the system and train you on how to use the thermostat. Each time we visit your home for maintenance of your heating system in the fall and cooling system in the spring, we test and adjust your thermostat.
- Learn your schedule – Smart thermostats connect to your home’s wifi and learn your schedule via a smartphone app. When installed the application allows you to program a routine just like a programmable thermostat.
- Works on smartphones – Smart thermostats allow the additional feature of creating a geofence around your home. Each time you leave with your phone, the smart thermostat adjusts your HVAC system for even more energy savings. For homeowners with hectic schedules, smart thermostats adjust to your routine so your home is comfortable without programming complex schedules into the thermostat.
- Easy to adjust anywhere – Smart thermostats can be adjusted anywhere you have access to your smartphone. You can adjust your home’s temperature as you are leaving a meeting or sitting on a beach hundreds of miles from home.
How To Install A New Thermostat
Thiele Heating and Air Conditioning install a wide range of thermostats. Installing a programmable thermostat is economical and having a professional technician guide you through how to use the program features is helpful. Smart thermostats or wifi connected thermostats have rapidly grown in popularity due to convenience and energy efficiency. Installing and setting up these devices is a specialty of Thiele. Contacting our team to schedule installation is simple. Our technicians take the time to explain how to use the applications so you feel comfortable and confident in your new thermostat.