Your HVAC system is one of the most important appliances in your home, and your thermostat is the key component that controls it. If your thermostat isn’t working properly, you won’t experience reliable climate control in your home. Thiele Heating & Air Conditioning share signs that indicate you’re experiencing faulty thermostat issues, when you are due for a home thermostat replacement and how a new thermostat can benefit your household.
Signs You Need Home Thermostat Replacement
Thermostats are generally replaced when new heating or cooling system is installed in a home, but this doesn’t always happen. If you don’t know the last time you had a new thermostat installed, here are signs that tell you it’s time for a home thermostat replacement.
1. The Thermostat Is Over 10 Years Old
Thermostats usually last around 10 years. Over time, wear and tear can take a toll on your thermostat In 10 years, advanced technology has created new features and functions that thermostats can do. You may want to replace your thermostat if you’re looking for newer features that your current thermostat doesn’t support, or if you suspect that your thermostat display is faulty, making it hard to control your thermostat settings.
To figure out the age of your thermostat, remove the unit from its wall mounting. Often, there is a label on the underside of the thermostat with the manufacturing date. For some brands, the date may be written into serial numbers.
2. Temperature Fluctuations in the Home
If the thermostat isn’t working right, it doesn’t control your furnace or air conditioner correctly. When the thermostat’s sensor is failing it may not read the indoor temperature correctly, causing problems when it comes to giving the correct signal for the HVAC system to start and stop.
Your thermostat may display incorrect temperatures if it is placed in a sunny room or placed too close to the furnace. This can sway the temperature reading to be warmer and not give the best sample of the current temperature in the entire house. In this case, it may be possible to relocate the thermostat, but it may be time to replace your thermostat because the direct sunlight may have damaged sensors in the device.
3. Odd HVAC System Performance
Does your HVAC system turn on and off too frequently? If your heating and cooling system short cycles frequently, a new thermostat could solve this problem. This is an issue called short cycling and a failing thermostat is one of the common causes of this. When your HVAC system short cycles it can result in a higher energy bill and uncomfortable temperatures in indoor spaces. Pursue home thermostat replacement right away to avoid damage to your HVAC system.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Thermostat
Installing a new thermostat through home thermostat replacement offers a number of benefits. Here are a few things you can expect to see when you switch out your old thermostat for a new model.
- If you replace a manual thermostat with a programmable or smart thermostat, you can expect savings on your energy bills after a home thermostat replacement. Swapping to a programmable thermostat should reduce your energy bills. Studies suggest that you can save up to 10% by switching to one when used correctly. This is because programmable thermostats can be set to lower temperature settings when you’re not home or at night.
- Non programmable thermostats need to be adjusted manually. A programmable thermostat will follow a schedule to match the set temperature at the desired times. With a smart thermostat, your family’s habits can be learned and implemented, which means everything is taken care of for you. You can even adjust your thermostat from your smartphone or other WiFi-enabled devices to maximize convenience.
- Improve comfort inside your home. An updated programmable or smart thermostat allows your home to stay at a comfortable temperature all the time so you can spend more time relaxing instead of messing with temperature settings. Installing a new thermostat also helps reduce hot and cold spots in your home, which is always a plus.
Thermostat Installation in Indianapolis
If you’re due for a home thermostat replacement, call Thiele Heating & Air Conditioning today. Our team will help you find the perfect new thermostat and provide reliable installation so it functions exactly how you expect.